Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Week 8 - Wednesday

I really liked what Wess had to say today about Deconstruction. A previous pastor that I worked with/for said to me before I left for Fuller, "Aaron, your problem is that you seem to define yourself more about what you do not believe than what you do." This has bothered me because I dont want to be that way but from Wess' teaching today I have found some comfort in Deconstruction. Deconstruction seems to be more concerned about what is untrue first. Deconstruction defines what is false as a way to arrive at truth. I have had to become a deconstructionalist to distill the truth out of the falseness and that which I think is missing the point. And I love how Jesus seemed to do that with matters of the Law by saying things like, "You have heard it was said, an eye for an eye but I tell you...." I agree with Caputo and Wess, Jesus was a deconstructionist.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments Aaron and great reflection of a key point on deconstruction as taking the untruth to arrive at truth.